Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Personal Reflection: VO Patrol #1

Today, I completed my first VO Patrol shift at KOMU. I have to admit I was very nervous. 

From 2 to 6, I was responsible for producing a VOSOT for the 6 p.m. newscast. Upon arriving at the station, I started to panic (just on the inside of course!)...I started to think "what's the process of getting out a station car?" to "don't forget to check your equipment" to "what if I don't make it back in time!" After 2 minutes, I said to myself "breathe, Lindsey, breathe, you'll figure it out."

After pitching several story ideas, the news director recommended I cover an event at Columbia Regional Hospital. Representatives from several local Kohl's stores were to present a check to staff from the hospital's trauma unit.  Before leaving the station, I gave the hospital's Media Coordinator a call. I realized I had worked with him before at another hospital event this past spring for a radio story. He remembered me and served as a great resource for my story. This proves that you never know who you may cross paths with again in the future! 

When shooting at the event, I put my knowledge from my broadcast classes to the test. I tried to remember to white balance before each shot, get shots from different angles, and try to get shots with "movement" whenever possible. Some things I wish I did differently include framing my interview tighter and getting more cutaway shots. Hopefully, I will not make the same mistakes again at my next VO Patrol shift (in a week).

Was my first shift a disaster? No. Was it easy? No. However, I survived. My greatest lesson learned from today is to never be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. Eight people answered different questions to help me get through today. While I felt I was being "annoying," I swallowed my pride and explained I am "just getting my feet wet" at the station. Each person I asked was more than willing to help. It was a good feeling to see my finished product air--on schedule--and an even better feeling to know members of the newsroom are supportive of one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment